Singapore Eats

[Eat][bleft]

Travel Highlights

[Travel][bsummary]

Delicious Recipes

[Home-cooked][twocolumns]

Guides

[Guides][bleft]

National Kitchen High Tea - Chillax with a 3 tier set of local food Canapés


"Helmed by local celebrity chef Violet Oon, National Kitchen is a celebration of fine local flavours reflecting Singapore's colourful culinary heritage."


Ever since we reserved a table for two at National Kitchen, I read so much about it that my expectations were sky high. Expectations do shape our experiences.

Stepping into National Kitchen, what hit me was the sheer grandeur of the chandeliers juxtaposing with the traditional Peranakan tiles one might find in any Nonya shophouse. It was much more cosier than expected.

Singapore High Tea Set for 2 pax 

S$56 

Additional S$16 for Dry Laksa


Dry Laksa
We ordered the High Tea Set at 2.20pm but was told that we could only order it at 3pm. I was already a hungry lion so we decided to order the Daging Chabek Beef Cheek as the last order for lunch was before 2.30pm.

After waiting for 15 minutes, we were told by a male staff that the order for the Beef Cheek somehow did not go through. As he sounded so sincerely apologetic, we had to bite the bullet and wait patiently.  No choice, we have to wait till 3pm for our Singapore High Tea Set.

We were given a choice of Lemongrass Camomile Tea, Earl Grey Tea or Kopi. We chose Lemongrass Camomile but it tasted nothing like that. It smelt sourish like a fruit tea. The waitress explained that it has hibiscus in it.

We ordered the Dry Laksa. The lemak was packed with omph - rich flavours of spice yet not overly spicy. I wolfed down the dish.

Kueh Pie Tee

Kueh Pie Tee

We enjoyed the Kueh Pie Tee. This version was infused with flavours of prawns.

Pulled Beef Sambal Pao

I like the Pulled Beef Sambal Pao. The beef was very soft and juicy. It is perfect for sambal lovers who enjoy the sambal taste but not the pain from the spice. By the way, I do not know why the menu says it is "Pao" and not "Bao".


Pulled Beef Sambal Pao

Hae Bee Hiam Sandwich

Hae Bee Hiam Sandwich

The taste of the Hae Bee Hiam was sedap!

Otak Crostini

Otak Crostini

The Otak was packed with spice and coconut fragrance. I could also taste the fish meat distinctly. I enjoyed it!

Nasi Kuning Serunding

Nasi Kuning Serunding

I placed the entire ball of flakes and glutinous rice into my mouth and thoroughly enjoyed burst of flavours - the fragrance of the coconut and rice. Nice!

Buah Keluak Crostini

Bueh Keluak Crostini

Being an ardent fan of Buah Keluak, I was pleasantly surprised with this version. I was expecting a watered down version of the real nut but it tasted of the usual strong flavoured creamy black "truffle" of Perankan cuisine.

Roti Jala with Gula Melaka and Banana Sauce

I am not a Kueh Kueh person. The Gula Melaka was very well done though - smooth, sweet, thick and fragrant.


Roti Jala

Kesturi Pie - Citrus Curd on shortcrust with papaya and limau kesturi compote

Kesturi Pie

The Kesturi Pie will be a favourite among people with a sweet tooth!

Kueh Dah Dah

Delicious Kueh Dah Dah

Kueh Lapis Legit

Kueh Lapis

Kueh Lapis Sago

Kueh Lapis Sago

The Kueh Lapis Sago was awesome with the Gula Melaka poured over the dessert. Thumbs up!


Kueh Lapis Sago

The cake soaked up the thick Gula Melaka and it was delicious!

Kueh Beng Kah

Kueh Beng Kah

The cake was very soft.

Kueh Beng Kah

I enjoyed my mouthful of Kueh Beng Kah.

Overall, we had a splendid time over our Singapore High Tea Set. My experience at National Kitchen really resembled a visitation to an extremely rich Peranakan friend in her luxurious Peranakan house during CNY. The place was bustling with activities and loud chatter. It is definitely a place where I could laugh my heart out and enjoy local food in a cosy, rather quaint place. I will definitely be back to try their mains especially the Beef Cheeks which I missed today! Thank you for the treat, my friend.




Bustling with activities

Lovely frames adorn the walls

Booth Seats for a touch of romance

Peranakan items on display

Opulent decor

National Kitchen by Violet Oon
Address: 1 St. Andrew’s Road #02–01, National Gallery, Singapore 178957
Hours: 12 - 11PM
Phone: 9834 9935

No comments:

Featured Video