Singapore Eats

[Eat][bleft]

Travel Highlights

[Travel][bsummary]

Delicious Recipes

[Home-cooked][twocolumns]

Guides

[Guides][bleft]

Melben Seafood at Ang Mo Kio- Claypot Crab Beehoon is really SOLID

Melben Seafood was founded by Melvin and Benson in 1979. It set up its first outlet in Pasir Ris in 1985 and it has since expanded its business to 8 outlets (including Uncle Leong's Seafood) in Singapore. One of its most FAMOUS dish is Claypot Crab Beehoon.

At 6.25pm on a Sunday in its Ang Mo Kio outlet, it was already full house with a more than 20 pax snaking queue. We arrived at 5pm and were spared the snaking queue. While we were ordering our dishes in the 6 pax queue, we were handed a white card, stating that there is "No 100% Guaranteed Solid Crab". I have dined at Melben several times in the past and this was the first time I received such a disclaimer. After we have placed our orders, I was praying that our S$75 for 1kg crab would be very SOLID.

Claypot Crab Beehoon S$82.50


Do you think I am solid enough for you?
We were informed that the waiting time would be around 45 minutes. When the Claypot Crab Beehoon was served, it was piping hot and looked very inviting. The claypot soup smelt heavenly. It was packed with the juices of crabs. It was so delicious that we almost polished all the soup. We ordered a female crab and we were reminded that there was no guarantee of crab roe. For our dish, there was plenty of bright orange crab roe.

Solid!
I removed the shell from the pincer, revealing SOLID crab meat.  It felt firm and was not sticking to the shell. Melben at AMK has improved greatly from the past few times I was there. The crab was extremely fresh and there was no weird smell at all. It was pure crab indulgence. Very satisfied!

The part connecting to the pincer

Crab Bee Hoon Soup
I have saved the best for the last - chunks of crab meat with roe and thick bee hoon in a rich and flavourful crab soup. The lingering taste of the Claypot Crab Bee Hoon kept me satisfied.

Nai Bai with added fish slices S$15

Healthy and Delicious
Craving for some vegetables, the Nai Bai with added fish slices was an excellent choice for 2 pax. The fish were fried with Wok Hei and the portion was generous. The dish tasted light and I could taste the natural essence of the ingredients. 

Indoor Seating

It was cooling. 

Outdoor Seating 

Full House
After a satisfying meal, we were shocked to see that many people queuing at 6.25pm. I am happy for Mr Melvin that his recipe for success has sustained. I am relieved and overjoyed that my crab was SOLID!

I am SOLID!
Do you know of any other delicious Claypot Crab Beehoon? Please leave your comments. :)

For Latest Food Updates: Follow my Facebook Page
To connect with me: Follow me on my Instagram

Address: 232 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3, 560232
Hours: 5–10PM
Phone: 6285 6762
http://melben.sg/menu/

1 comment:

Featured Video